Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Poison Ivy, Key Lime Salt Water Taffy & Other Wonders of The World

The past couple of days have been fulfilling. Hard to say why I'm feeling so motivated, but may be chalked up to leaving facebook sixteen days ago. Suddenly I have time. Time to get busy, and take care of some real-life duties. I decided to start with some rogue hedges occupying the eastern end of our home. A row of green forty feet long, twelve feet high and eight feet wide. Professional landscapers estimated the job at two men for eight hours and $600. Now with all this time, I could save myself some money. Who says facebook is free?

So, Sunday morning I was out bright and early; worshiping a late winter's day and it's joyful sunshine. The hedges were intimidating. I needed a plan, and consulted my neighbor. Rather than go at the hedges from the front, I came from behind. A rear attack, with my long-handled pruning saw. Started low and worked my way up. Within a half-hour I'd not only completed trimming the first plant, but realized there were only eight to be done. They'd been growing for so long, and out of control, it'd seemed there were many more. So an hour turned into six, and soon enough I'd completed the pruning. Of course, there were also the vines. With small green, distinctly shaped leaves. Unfortunately my brain was not in outdoor mode, but rather still flat from a mild winter. With bare hands I'd removed the trimmings and vines that went with them.

Early Monday morning I awoke, and went out to the end of the house to admire my work. With the mulch down, I had to admit it was quite the professional looking job. I was very proud of myself and shared my pruning story with all who'd listen. After all, I couldn't post it on facebook. I'd taken a vow of abstinence.  By Tuesday, I'd noticed a rash on my forearms, and late that afternoon my boss asked what was the matter with my eyes. Straight to the mirror, seemed my entire face was swelling. This morning, waking up I appeared a pregnant chipmunk. My eyes were nearly swollen shut. I was thinking sunburn or allergy, still defiantly ignoring the obvious. My doctor knew better. Took him a quick glance to diagnose --- poison ivy; and provide a prescription. Now, just ten hours, two prednisone tablets, and four pieces of key lime salt water taffy, i feel much better.

Suppose the morale of the story is that with the right tools, and attitude, we can accomplish just about anything. Some may argue that the taffy is not a tool, or a wonder of the world, but I know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment