Sunday, March 25, 2012

recovery is a long series of small ...

but courageous steps. relapse is not / has never been the primary problem. the problem is that we can't get honest with ourselves, and those supporting us. the reasons are many, but generally seem to be focused on our own safety. if i disclose to you where i've been or what i've done, you may no longer care for me, or love me. i realize that's irrational thinking, but thinking irrationally is what addicts do best. believe me, i know.

group this morning was wonderful, and was so because of the honesty and courage of those within. what a joy this life is, and this time in my life is. i'd suggest that if you stumbled across this new blog, it wasn't by accident. we can, and do all learn from one another. if you're still using, and want to stop, please get help. people really do get better.

i wish for each of you the best sun-day of your life :)

6 comments:

  1. So true, walking in the light to the best of our ability sets us free. No more fear of people finding out, our covers being pulled back and us exposed....because we have done the exposing on our own stuff. We have empowered ourselves by our honesty. I love it. Taking a good hard look at ourselves is very difficult and scary and does take a lot of courage but once that first glimpse has been had....each looks gets easier. We get stronger and braver.
    Thank you for your comments on my blog. Its nice to have you there. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, you bring me joy. sending all the best :)

      Delete
  2. This is great, John. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll link over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, so wonderful to hear from you. look forward to sharing, wishing you all the best :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm glad we connected. My brother is recovering from an opiate addiction. He has been clean about a year and a half I think. I suspect there might have been a relapse from his lack of expressing how long it has been. I find myself at a loss on what to do/say to him. I have expressed my support, but he is extremely introverted and never shares his feelings (a curse my whole family has). I don't want to upset him by prying, but being silent can't be good either. He has recently become a father of twins and with the stresses of that and not having steady work I constantly worry about his sobriety.

      I look forward to following your journey!

      Delete
    3. just being there for him is about all the control you have. must be his decision, how he lives his life, and what he does. don't give up on talking/listening. he needs you now, more than ever. so, so nice to hear from you.

      Delete